Cancer is one of the most prolific illnesses in the modern world. It accounted for nearly 10 million deaths in 2020 and it is predicted that by 2025, there will be 19.3 million cases of cancer worldwide. As such, there is also a great deal of research that goes into cancer treatment, meaning there are many options for patients.
How has Cancer been treated?
Traditional solutions, such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy (chemo), have been conventional cancer treatments for around 50 to 60 years. They use radiation and chemicals to target and kill cancer cells. However, inevitably some healthy cells will be impacted by these treatments, which cause unpleasant side effects for the patient. People undergoing chemotherapy often experience the most dramatic impacts, such as hair loss, stomach problems, fatigue, sores, and bruising. As a result, alternatives to chemotherapy and radiotherapy are increasingly popular. But what are the alternative treatment options?
What are alternative Cancer treatments?
There are many different kinds of alternative cancer treatments available, and as with any other medical treatment, the best option is determined based on the diagnosis. The word ‘alternative’ simply refers to any treatment which is not part of the three conventional treatments of surgery, chemo, or radiotherapy. They tend to be milder and less aggressive, therefore having a much less harmful impact on the body and overall health of the patient. At Verita Life, our alternative, integrated treatments consider the body as a whole and work towards total health, not just destroying cancer cells. They focus on the health of the organs, the immune system, and the patient’s psychology and lifestyle.
How long has alternative cancer medicine been around?
Complementary and alternative medicine treatments have existed for thousands of years, ahead of conventional medicine even. It was only in the mid-20th century that what we now call conventional medicine became the mainstream. In the 1960s and 70s however, campaign groups began lobbying on behalf of those with cancer, in order to bring back personalization of treatment and empowerment of the patient.
Different ways to treat cancer
One common misconception is that patients must choose either conventional treatment or alternative cancer treatments. The reality is, many of our treatments can serve as complementary cancer treatments, as well as stand-alone treatments. We offer a range of more natural and less chemically driven treatments, such as:
- Metronomic Therapy – An alternative to chemotherapy, using ultra-low dose chemo drugs
- Herbal Medicine – Alternative herbal treatments which use proven anti-cancer compounds and immune activators
- Anti-angiogenic – Preventing the formation of new blood cells reducing blood supply to tumours
- Metabolic treatment – Starving cancer cells of glucose and blocking the production of energy in cancer cells
- Biological Treatment – Affecting cancer cells by stimulating a response in the body, and boosting the immune system
- Local Hyperthermia – Targets and destroys tumours without damaging healthy surrounding cells.
- IPT – Insulin Potentiation Therapy combines conventional and alternative cancer treatments – low dose chemotherapy and insulin, which lowers sugar levels, starving cancer and reducing resistance to chemotherapy.
- Dendritic Cell cancer treatment – Immune cells, or Dendritic Cells, which fight cancer cells are removed from the body, turned into a vaccine, and then re-administered near the lymph node.
To find out more about these alternative cancer treatments, which treatment would best suit your needs, or other treatments which we offer, contact us today and book your free consultation.