Symptoms of Colon cancer
The symptoms of colon cancer can be quite subtle and are similar to symptoms of other illnesses. However, if you are persistently experiencing the following, you should seek medical advice:
- Blood in your stool
- Abdominal discomfort such as cramping, bloating, gas, or pain
- A change in bowel habits, especially needing to go to the bathroom more often with loose or runny stools (diarrhea)
- Unexplained weight loss.
Although it can happen at any age, colon cancer is more common in older people. There can also be a family history of colon cancer or inherited genetic syndromes such as Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) or Lynch syndrome. People with medical conditions such as inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s Disease or Ulcerative Colitis are also more prone to colon cancer.
Causes of Colon cancer
Colon cancer, like all cancers, is caused by abnormal cell growth which creates tumours. In the case of colon cancer, these tumours are called polyps. Whilst the direct cause of colon cancer is unknown, there are a number of risk factors that can increase the likelihood of developing the condition, such as:
- Consuming a high fat, low fiber diet, high in red or processed meats
- Living a sedentary lifestyle and not exercising
- Drinking alcohol
- Having a family history of colon cancer
- Age – older people are more prone to colon cancer
- Experiencing inflammatory intestinal diseases
Preventing Colon cancer
The best way to prevent colon cancer is to make lifestyle choices that support colorectal and gut health. Some examples of this are:
- Eating a balanced high-fiber diet, with plenty of whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables
- Do not smoke and drink only in moderation, if at all
- Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise of active movement each day
- Try to maintain a healthy weight
Verita Life’s alternate treatment for colon cancer
Alternate treatment for colon cancer depends on its origin. No matter what type of colon cancer you have, or what stage it has progressed to, we will offer you an alternate and integrated treatment. Our treatments can be delivered to complement to conventional treatment, or as an alternative. Treatment plans are developed entirely dependent on our patient’s individual needs, so get in touch today for a free consultation to begin learning about what we can do for you.
Whether you are looking for more integrated solutions to cancer treatment, or are healthy but looking preventative measures to take, we can help.